2 dead in fresh violence at Tampakan mine site–military
By Bong S. Sarmiento on August 23 2013
KORONADAL CITY (MindaNews/23 August)– A revered “bong fulong” or tribal elder in the mines development site of foreign-backed Sagittarius Mines, Inc. (SMI) was killed Friday morning in another fresh violence at the controversial Tampakan copper-gold project, allegedly by soldiers pursuing an armed tribal group in the area, various sources said.
The military said “two armed tribal members were killed in an encounter with government troops.”
Reports gathered by the Social Action Center (SAC) identified the victim as Anteng Freay, head claimant of the Ancestral Domain territory of the Atbol B’laan territory.
“We are still validating if two other children of the victim were also killed,” said Rene Pamplona, SAC advocacy officer.
Pamplona told MindaNews that relatives of the victim were not allowed by the military to go to the house of Freay, as fighting still raged on hours after he was reported killed.
Read more @www.mindanews.com
- 2 dead in fresh violence at Tampakan mine site – military (mindanews.com)
- Open-pit ban triggers downsizing at Tampakan project (mindanews.com)
- Glencore-Xstrata ‘downsizes’ PH mining operations (rappler.com)
- ATM Statement on the Downscaling of the Tampakan Mining Project (taomunahindimina.wordpress.com)
- Glencore Xstrata unit slashes funding for its Tampakan copper-gold project (mining.com)