14 August 2013
ATM Statement on the Downscaling of the Tampakan Mining Project
Contrary to the claims of SMI, Indophil and Xstrata, the government rules on mining projects are clear. The miners have i) failed to secure the free, prior and informed consent (FPIC) of the indigenous B’laan communities; ii) failed to secure the Environmental Compliance Certificate (ECC) from the DENR, and iii) failed to convince the local government to overturn its ban on open-pit mining.
SMI, Indophil and Xstrata had failed to comply with Philippine laws and regulations, and can’t be allowed to proceed.
Employment and livelihoods will not be drastically affected with this downgrading of operations. In fact, 80,000 farmers will continue to benefit from the Mal River as water source to irrigate more than 200,000 hectares of farmlands in South Cotabato alone. Around 4,000 hectares of forestlands will be preserved, to mitigate the impacts of climate change. The rights of indigenous peoples will now be respected.
The struggle continues. ATM will sustain its support to the struggle of B’laans to resist the entry of mining in their ancestral domains. We will work with farmers and women groups to upscale and expand sustainable agriculture. We stand in solidarity with the local government of South Cotabato to define its own path of sustainable development, without destructive and irresponsible mining.
Alyansa Tigil Mina is an alliance of mining-affected communities and their support groups of NGOs/POs and other civil society organizations who oppose the aggressive promotion of large-scale mining in the Philippines. The alliance is currently pushing for a moratorium on mining, revocation of EO 270-A, repeal of the Mining Act of 1995, and passage of the AMMB. (30)
For more information:
Jaybee Garganera, ATM National Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org, 0927.7617602
Farah Sevilla, ATM Policy Research and Advocacy officer, email@example.com
- Sagittarius Mines will axe 920 jobs (newstatesman.com)
- Glencore-Xstrata ‘downsizes’ PH mining operations (rappler.com)
- Groups condemn ambush of B’laan leader and member in minerals-rich Davao del Sur -ATM (taomunahindimina.wordpress.com)
- Glencore Xstrata unit slashes funding for its Tampakan copper-gold project (mining.com)
- [Petition] DENR Sec. Ramon Paje: That Pres. Aquino Cancel the FTAA of SMI-Xstrata Tampakan Mining Project (taomunahindimina.wordpress.com)
- Petitioning Philippine President Benigno “Noynoy” Aquino III Stop the Tampakan Mining Project! (taomunahindimina.wordpress.com)